Saturday, October 22, 2011

HORRIBLE! Horrible, horrible!


I just could not believe my ears when I heard about the animal escape in Ohio. Ever since Wednesday I have been following the story. My first reaction was complete shock! I thought "What idiots would do this?!" then as the story developed, I kept getting more depressed and more pissed.
The thought of all those exotics dead tore me apart. I know what had to be done was done, and I completely understand why those animals were shot. If I am ever faced with a similar choice during my career (shot my animal or let them kill people) I would not hesitate to shot it. No animal should come before a human life. That doesn't make it any easier to bear.
Then there is the whole extent of the situation. First off the reason why these animals are dead (18 tigers, 17 lions, 8 bears, 3 cougars, 2 wolves, 1 baboon) is most likely because of the owner. Wild animals are just that, wild. They shouldn't be for just anyone to keep, or more incidents like this one will occur because of the stupidity of some people. What makes matters worse, I read one article on this story where the sheriff's department stated that on several occasions responding to complaints, the owner threatened to release the animals! If someone would have taken over this situation sooner, then 49 exotic and beautiful animal lives could have been save.
Below is a news report on a local home for exotic animals, profiling on how these animals are kept contained and healthy. This place just happens to be the Animal House (where I volunteer every Saturday).

No comments:

Post a Comment